We see you, ladies who appreciate looking and feeling desirable every so often but don’t really want to peruse pair after pair of pasties and crotchless bodystockings. Maybe you’ve never really dabbled in lingerie before—you suspect it’s not for women like you, or don’t have the kind of time to spend finding a hot needle in a blazing haystack.
It bears a mention this time of year especially: Not all lingerie needs to be scandalous. It’s entirely possible to wear something sexy and stay in your comfort zone.
That’s why we asked Bare Necessities lingerie buyer Kelly Morales to put together her favorite attractive-yet-understated sexy selections. When you’re making yourself vulnerable and putting yourself out on the edge, you want—no, need—to feel like yourself. These make that easy.
Babydolls and Chemises
To take a small step in the sexy direction, try a babydoll (fit-and-flare) or a chemise (more fitted). Both are a natural transition from sleepwear because what you’ll find here are basically nighties that are short, lacy or sheer. There’s a reason, after all, that a basic satin chemise is so endlessly alluring. Wear one to bed, and your message is still clear: Sleep can wait.
- Jezebel Demure Knit Chemise
- Jezebel Muse Satin Wireless Babydoll
- Oh Là Là Chéri Valentine Lace Babydoll Set (and Plus)
- Oh Là Là Chéri Nora Babydoll Set
- Mapalé T-Back Wireless Chemise Set
Lingerie-speak for what’s basically a bodysuit, a teddy can actually be a fairly covered-up style. They’re also easy all-in-ones because you don’t have to deal with putting together a whole matching sexy look, what with bras and panties and garters and thigh highs and whatnot. They’re also striking on all figures, and they can leave the house under a jacket, blazer, cardigan or dress. Cute, coy rompers and playsuits fall into this category, too. Think fashion, only saucier.
- Oh Là Là Chéri Page Teddy
- Dreamgirl High Neck Lace Teddy
- Seven ‘Til Midnight Temptation Lace Wire-Free Romper
- ICollection Selena Striped Mesh Teddy
- Mapalé Plus Size Lace-Up Teddy
A Lingerie Set
These tried-and-true classics are, in a way, a throwback to more innocent times, when sexy wasn’t automatically the same thing as overexposed. We like to think of them as beautiful bras and panties with a little something extra going for them, be it a garter-belt layer, gorgeous straps or touchable fabrics like lace, velvet, mesh and satin. And because they’re designed to be worn together, these take all the guesswork out of getting undressed.
High-Waisted Panty Sets
If your favorite feature is a pretty great rear view, play it up! These bottoms have a retro feel and forgiving fit that play well as a set, with anything you already own or all by their lonesome. The full sets shown here all feature a tummy-covering, unforgettably gorgeous high-waist panty that’s as comfortable as it is confidence-raising.
- Contradiction Illicit High-Waist Brief<
- Mapalé Paisley Lace Bra Set
- Glitter Simone Bra & High-Waist Panty Set (and Plus)
- ICollection Selena Striped Mesh Set
- Escante High-Waist Lace-Up Brief
Camisoles and tap pants are a pretty new trend in the sexy department. These PJs here are a little cheeky without being overt. Another fun option: Upgrade your robe to a schmancy version. Swap fleecy for slinky and layer it over as much or as little as you like.
- Jezebel Kimono Satin Robe
- Mapalé Lace Robe & Matching G-String Set
- Oh Là Là Chéri Provence Eyelash Lace Robe Set (and Plus)
- Roma Satin & Lace Lingerie Set
- Mapalé Plus Size Camisole Knit Pajama Set
- Roma Elegant Satin & Eyelash Lace Pajama Set