Winter is a great excuse for snuggling and all, but ratcheting up the thermostat to 85 degrees just isn’t the same as when the mercury gets there on its own. The sun, a little breeze on your warm skin—it makes a world of difference, mentally and physically. It’s a feeling you want to consume and carry through the rest of the year. We’re here for it at Bare Necessities.
Summer—make that life—is too damn short to do otherwise.
“You can look hot in a full-coverage one-piece or in a bikini with very little coverage,” be it for a cruise, a pool party, a cookout or a day at the boardwalk, says our swimwear buyer Megan Puma. “More than anything, it’s about your state of mind.”
Some of the trends she’s seeing this season are mesh insets, strappy details (especially in swim bottoms), cutouts, plunging necklines and push-up tops. Kenneth Cole and Luli Fama, brands she’s brought on board this year, have a bit of a saucy side, as do the lingerie-makers diving into swimwear, like Mapalé and Ann Summers.
A few of Megan’s favorites:
- Kenneth Cole Hall of Fame One-Piece: “Somewhere between a one-piece and a two-piece, it’s a push-up with some undeniably sexy crisscross straps for interest.”
- Carmen Marc Valvo Botanical Wire-Free Ruffle One-Piece: “The ruffled plunge neckline and floral print keep it on the flirty side.”
- Luli Fama Mambo Push-Up Halter Bikini Top and Lace-Up Brazilian Bikini Bottom: “Between the push-up top, the lacing and the teeny bottom, you can pack this one and head straight to Rio.”
- Freya Macrame Bandeau Monokini: “Personally, I love that it’s possible to get a sexy and on-trend suit that’s bra-sized, with an underwire for support.”
- Miraclesuit Illusionist Azura One-Piece: “You’d never know the fabric, including the mesh, is also incredibly shaping.”
- Robin Piccone Luca Plunge Wire-Free One-Piece: “A plunging black maillot plus hardware detail is simple yet dead sexy.”
“Women are much more comfortable with our bodies these days, especially in the summer, with natural, festival-inspired vibes still going strong,” says lingerie buyer Kelly Morales. According to Kelly, the lingerie world “always runs the gamut—it offers a lot for everyone, from romantic to edgy and even veering into streetwear.”
While black always comes out on top in the bedroom, expect pops of color this season, too. Bodysuits and teddies are having a major moment. You could make a case for going out to Coachella or a club in the former; the latter tend to be super sheer or scandalously plunging.
If bold and outrageous are fairly far outside your comfort zone, Kelly points to panties as a laid-back way of moving toward the sexier end of the spectrum. “There are tons of fun colors, fashion trends, sizes and details, like a cute open back,” she says.
A few of Kelly’s favorites:
- Oh La La Cheri Real Lingerie Suzette Lace Bodysuit: “The dusty turquoise is sophisticated and summery. Wear it out with denim cutoffs or at home with nothing else.”
- Oh La La Cheri Real Lingerie Lucette Edgy Lace Teddy: “The embodiment of absolutely perfect summertime lingerie.”
- Frederick’s of Hollywood Christelle Teddy: “How gorgeous is this scalloped lace high-neck teddy? Love the T-back style, too.”
- Oh La La Cheri Lace-Up Sheer Teddy: “The ribbons are so sweet and playful, in pink and purple especially.”
- Oh La La Cheri Goodnight Kiss Crotchless Boyshort: “The contrast of the full-cut short and corset-inspired back is so striking. Pick whichever color appeals to you most, or grab three for $30.”
- Frederick’s of Hollywood Jessica Lace Mini G-String: “Gives new meaning to low-rise. What’s hotter than barely-there?”
Latest posts by Brooke Glassberg (see all)
- The Summer of Women Who Rock: Newport Folk Festival 2019 - August 19, 2019
- First Look: Spring 2020 Swimwear Trends - August 12, 2019
- The Best Nursing Bra is Just Like the Bra You’re Already Wearing - August 5, 2019