Memorial Day is here, Memorial Day is here! Summer’s unofficial official kick-off means this is the time to make sure that sandals are broken in, beach bags are cleaned out and swimwear is looking good and ready to go.
We’re back with Bare Necessities‘ own Megan Puma, ace swimwear buyer, to find out where this season’s styles are taking us.
“Memorial Day is exciting because it’s a glimpse of what’s to come, the first crack at the season,” Megan says. “Whether you’re at the community pool with the kids or a lake house with friends, people are going to be seeing you in swimwear, so just like anything else, you have plan in advance and put outfits together a little bit. This is the time to finally cut the tags off and get in there.”
Each of these suits is memorable in a different way: blurring the line between one-piece and two, or giving a classic silhouette a bit of a twist.
“On the beach, it can look like a sea of black swimsuits, but you can find a comfy suit that has personality,” says Megan. “Done right, swimwear isn’t about covering up; it’s about accentuating your body and your style. You should be excited to wear it! Bra-size swim doesn’t have to look like a bra anymore; there’s no need to buy boring basics. These are out-of-the-ordinary suits you’re not going to see absolutely everywhere.”
- Becca Spiritual Crochet One-Piece
- Lauren Ralph Lauren Seersucker Stripe Lace-Up Underwire Bikini Top
- Magicsuit Solid Goddess Underwire One-Piece
- Fantasie Marseille Bardot Bandeau Bikini Top
- Magicsuit Scuba Audra One-Piece
- Magicsuit Plus Size Brynn Underwire One-Piece
- Profile by Gottex Plus Size Tutti Frutti One-Piece
Sexy, but Subtly
Like a good bra, ideally you want your swim to be functional and fab. That’s where alluring details make all the difference. Cage cups, halter straps, metal hardware, plunging necklines, mesh insets, tie-waist belts and ruffled edges all leave a lasting impression without leaving you uncovered. These suits are geared more toward the hot tub than the lap lane.
“To step outside of your comfort zone, you have to feel confident, because you will look how you feel. These are all one-pieces, which we always need, but something you likely don’t have in your wardrobe yet,” Megan says.
- Amoressa Queen B Plunge One-Piece
- Becca Tapestry Bloom Wrap One-Piece
- Magicsuit Solid Reagan Mesh One-Piece
- Becca Socialite Ruffle Plunge One-Piece
- Becca Etc Plus Size Color Code Ruffle Plunge One-Piece
Do not fear the white swimsuit, we repeat, do not fear the white swimsuit. They’re opaque, they’re lined, they’re covered in florals and they’re cut to be cute without causing an international incident. In ruffles, crochet and ribbing, these are really modern, wearable takes on the iconic white bathing suit.
“For a honeymoon or bachelorette party, white is a no-brainer, but it’s really for anybody now,” says Megan. “It’s so perfectly summery to me.”
- Bleu Rod Beattie Go for Gold Lace-Up One-Piece
- Becca Color Play Plunge One-Piece
- Carmen Marc Valvo Garden Party Halter One-Piece
- Mapalé Ribbed Racerback Bikini Set
- Freya Bohemia Convertible Bikini Top
These selections go heavy on the sass, channeling spring break vibes wherever you go. With edgy expressions, strappy touches and string-tie tops that pair with Brazilian-cut bottoms, this is the most beguiling swim collection we’ve ever assembled, and we are here for it.
- Studio Anne Cole Tile Tease Bikini Top
- Luli Fama La Mezquita Halter Bikini Top
- Mapalé Harness Bikini Set
- Mapalé Aloha Beaches One-Piece
- Mapalé Get Salty One-Piece
Latest posts by Brooke Glassberg (see all)
- The Best Neutral & Nude Bras for Every Skin Tone - March 22, 2021
- How to Beat Daylight Savings Time - March 15, 2021
- How to Buy a Swimsuit Online: an Interview with Swim Expert Megan Puma - March 8, 2021