Among other things, 2020 has been the year of tie-dye.
It’s been ages since a trend has made such a strong comeback across categories: Not only can you find tie-dye sweatsuits and masks, you can even find the design on swim and activewear here at Bare Necessities. And what started in spring and continued through summer is poised to continue through fall. So why all the tie-dye all of the sudden?
- It’s fun and happy: This is definitely a case of dressing for the mood you want. After all, who couldn’t use a smile at this moment? As the trend proved when it rose to peak popularity in the 60s and 70s, tie-dye is uplifting in tumultuous times. When we’re spending so many more hours than usual in tees and sweats, tie-dye is an easy way to add arty interest.
- It’s meaningful: Speaking of history, tie-dye rose to peak popularity in the turbulent 1960s and 1970s, so its connotations are equal parts anti-establishment and peace and love. Tie-dye makes a statement when you wear it.
- It’s super colorful: This trend feels just right for spring and summer, and it’s going to continue into fall. With so many different tie-dye pieces out there, it comes in your colors, whether you gravitate toward bold and bright or subtle and understated.
- It’s familiar: This isn’t the time for fantastical fashion adventures; tie-dye is tried and true, and it’s appealingly democratic in how accessible it really is. In fact, lots of handmade things—embroidery, weaving, knitting—are having a resurgence lately.
- It’s something to do: When we’re sticking closer to home and have time to spare, something like tie-dye goes from style to activity. It’s the new bread-baking this season.
Of course, the best part is that you don’t have to stain your hands the colors of the rainbow to get in on the vibe; just about every brand you can think of is offering its own riff. Here are a few groovy examples of our new-old favorite motif:
TIE-DYE SLEEP & LOUNGEWEAR
P.J. Salvage American Revival Knit Hoodie and Shorts
P.J. Salvage Minimalist Knit Lounge Top and Shorts
P.J. Salvage Minimalist Knit Tank
Onzie Chic Racerback Sports Bra
Onzie High Rise Midi Leggings
Onzie High Rise Leggings
Onzie Graphic High Rise Leggings
Becca Crystal Lake collection
Becca Tide Pool cover-ups
Panache Tie Dye collection
Latest posts by Brooke Glassberg (see all)
- Inner Peace for Busy Women - February 28, 2022
- New Year, New Bra - January 11, 2022
- The Best Neutral & Nude Bras for Every Skin Tone - March 22, 2021