There are two kinds of people in this world: those who wear underwear because that’s what grown-ups do, and lingerie lovers. We’ve got both covered, but the latter group is about to be floored by our new Contemporary department.
Fall fashion, meet underwear drawer.
“This category revolves around ready-to-wear trends and stars incredible fabrics and details. It’s about looking and feeling your most fabulous all the time,” says buyer Krista Molinaro. “I’m excited because we’re focusing more than we ever have before on fashion lingerie. It has an edge. It’s fun to shop for. We can and should be the destination for women who are crazy about exquisitely beautiful underthings.”
That is to say, not your basic T-shirt bras. We’re talking the indie rock bands of the lingerie world. They’re cool and sleek and sensuous, skewing au naturel (some veering off a bit into naughty territory). Most are designed for cup sizes A to D. They’re meant to be secretly appreciated under your on fleek outfit or seen by whomever you choose to show ’em off to.
Trendy lingerie brands include the freshest cuts from familiar favorites DKNY, Calvin Klein, Hanky Panky and B.Tempt’d and newly beloved cult favorite indie lingerie labels like For Love & Lemons, Else, Only Hearts, Elle Macpherson Body, Heidi Klum Intimates, Unveiled, Marlies Dekkers, Mimi Holliday and Contradiction. Here’s what else you can expect fresh from the Runway Report, our new contemporary fashion lingerie department:
TRENDY LINGERIE STYLES AND COLORS
Not unlike the directional looks served up at Fashion Week, these pieces are meant to get noticed. This season, expect autumnal jewel tones—emerald, burgundy, dark purples—and loads of perennially sexy black, as well as:
- THE NEW CROP OF BRALETTES: These supercool staples come in so many different styles, like high necklines, longline silhouettes, strappy cage-bra detail like this Only Hearts Whisper Sweet Nothings cropped cami, mixed materials (lace with a grosgrain ribbon or sporty striped elastic band)—even some 2-for-$30 pricing.
- UNLINED, SOFT-CUP BRAS: With more shape than a bralette, these triangles are still barely-there. For your consideration: the Else Lingerie Ivy longline bra.
- BACK DETAIL: Whether adorned with lace, mesh or edgy straps like the Commando Stripped bralette, these pieces are just as gorgeous coming as they are going.
- BODYSUITS: Wear these spectacular layers—peep the Else Lingerie Ivy bodysuit—under a blazer or all on their own.
- SUBTLE SEXINESS: Toe the line between everyday lingerie and strictly boudoir with ruffles, peekaboo cups and bondage-inspired straps that look chic peeking out from under a blouse. This Only Hearts Whisper Sweet Nothings bralette with gathered tulle cups flawlessly sets the tone.
FASHION LINGERIE FABRICS
The most luxurious materials are now infiltrating your lingerie drawer. (Take note if you love the matchy-matchy look: For Love & Lemons designs dresses and lingerie in the same fabrics.)
- MODERN LACE: Equal parts delicate and bold, from the soft eyelash lace of this For Love & Lemons Loucette longline bra to wide-open crochet.
- APPLIQUÉD MESH: The mix of a sheer backdrop with dark, moody embroidery or appliqué looks so alluring and graphic against skin. To wit: For Love & Lemons Rylee Rose bralette.
- TOUCHABLE TEXTURES: Velvet, silk, satin and more feel incredible on, as in this divine velour-trimmed For Love & Lemons Emerie bra.
Latest posts by Brooke Glassberg (see all)
- Emily Lau, Founder of The Little Bra Company, is Standing up for Small Chests - April 17, 2017
- Tera’s Major Bra Fit Makeover: From 34DD to 30GG - April 3, 2017
- Dita Von Teese on Redefining Glamour - March 20, 2017