Sunny days are here again, and so are the latest swimsuits. While bikinis and tankinis will always have their place, at the start of the season we’re always partial to one-pieces that not only have some flair but also make our bodies look their best so we can feel confident getting out there.
The latest wave of one-pieces comes in fresh silhouettes and a broad range of coverage levels for way more options than your average maillot: “You can pull off a skimpy one-piece that’s super unique and cool-looking or a higher-coverage swim romper and look equally cute in either one,” says Bare Necessities swimwear buyer Megan Puma. Support and shaping are more common than ever, too.
One and done? Don’t mind if we do.
If you’re already a fan of one-piece bathing suits, each of these will add new interest to your collection. If you’re not, these adorable options will have you reconsidering. From flirty ruffled skirts to a two-in-one reversible tropical print, a Greek goddess-inspired shaping ruched suit to a plus-size one piece with a dramatic sleeve, these bring all the excitement of a new outfit to the beach or pool.
- Skinny Dippers Tic Tac Toe One-Piece
- Skinny Dippers Fiji Ninja Reversible One-Piece
- Miraclesuit Rock Solid Aphrodite One-Piece
- Raisins Curve Marrakesh Stingray One-Piece
Who says a one-piece has to be prim and proper? For the functionality of a suit that isn’t going anywhere with the appeal of a little exposed skin, try monokinis and cutouts. They show off a little something-something, but not everything. Choose the style that plays up your favorite feature to direct all attention where you want it, be it a cleavage-enhancing plunge, an hourglass waistline, or a higher cut to underscore those endless legs.
- Becca East Wind Plunge One-Piece
- Freya Roar Instinct Underwire Monokini
- Freya Urban Plunge One-Piece
- Magicsuit Deep Dive Chantelle Underwire One-Piece and Magicsuit Plus Size Deep Dive Coco Underwire One-Piece
The same style that works to great effect in eveningwear also works really well in swim for some reason—no one ever says they can’t stand their collarbones and shoulders, right? In trendy prints and rich, classic solids, this type of swimsuit brings the eye to the upper body and imparts an all-dressed-up vibe at the same time.
- Amoressa Sierra Leone Gemini One-Piece
- Becca Color Play One Shoulder One-Piece
- Magicsuit Jet Setter Amal One-Piece (also comes in solid black)
- Miraclesuit Jena Network One-Piece
“I’m seeing more and more people doing these, and I get it,” Megan says. “They’re such a practical must have at a pool party, a water park, a sauna—occasions like that where you want coverage and don’t want to have to worry about your suit.” This shorts-and-a-tank-inspired style is so new that it manages to be both cutting edge and understated at the same time—typically a pretty tough tightrope to walk.
- Magicsuit Solid Mila One-Piece Romper (as shown above)
- Magicsuit Theresa Plunge One-Piece Romper
- Magicsuit Solid Bianca One-Piece Romper
- Trimshaper Solids Romy One-Piece Romper
And then there’s this innovative category: As flattering as they are functional, these convertible styles are basically like having a swimsuit with a built-in coverup. Depending on how you tie or ruche them, you can wear a convertible swimsuit a bunch of different ways: to look like a swimdress, a tankini, a sarong or a traditional one-piece. One less thing to throw in the beach bag.
- Trimshaper Photo Op Tracey Swimdress
- Magicsuit Blue Jean Parker Underwire One-Piece
- Magicsuit Solid Celine Wire-Free One-Piece