Welcome to sweater weather! Though there’s less skin on display, what you’re wearing underneath your clothes matters. From T-shirt bras that sit smoothly under thin knits to shapewear that refines your figure for that party dress, these sleek foundations set you up for greater wardrobe satisfaction.
FALL MUST HAVE: A T-Shirt Bra
Why you need it now: “You need a good T-shirt bra for wearing under sweaters and for layering smoothly under a cami, a cardigan, or whatever you pile on top,” says premium buyer Heather Viskovic.
T-shirt bras we love:
1. Prima Donna Twist Tresor T-Shirt Bra: This smooth operator works in your figure’s favor every which way, from the uplifting underwire to the not-too-thick-not-too-thin contour cups, the supportive sides and no-slip straps.
2. Freya Idol Balcony T-Shirt Bra: For style as good as the support it provides, go with this Bra Fit Expert Pick. Pretty pinstriped, full-cut cups prevent show-through with a soft foam lining. Bold colors brighten up your day.
3. Natori Pure Luxe T-Shirt Bra: See all those five-star reviews? They’re because this bra lives up to its name. It’s comfortable to the point of decadence—no elastic ever so much as touches your skin—and seamlessly supportive at the same time.
FALL MUST HAVE: A Minimizer
Why you need it now: “If you’re busty, this is the season to break out the minimizer bras. You need them for tighter blouses with buttons, which you’re wearing now more often than in spring or summer,” Heather says.
Minimizer bras we love:
4. Le Mystère The Modern Minimizer: Everything you love about a T-shirt bra is in this simple, sophisticated minimizer than promises to take you down a cup size. Foam-lined cups both shape and cover.
5. Wacoal Precise Finish Minimizer Bra: Customers love this one for support, comfort and coverage that just so happens to have the added benefit of minimizing the look of your bust. It looks as good as it fits and feels. Love the range of skin tones, too.
6. Chantelle C Magnifique Sexy Minimizer Bra: Why yes, a minimizer can be drop-dead sexy, it turns out. This best seller disappears under clothes but stands on its own with a chic mesh overlay.
FALL MUST HAVE: Gorgeous Bras
Why you need it now: “These are really special somethings for all those holiday parties coming up,” says Heather. “When you wear a bra this beautiful, it puts you in a happier mood. Wearing luxury right up against your skin, to me, is a thousand times more decadent than any handbag or pair of shoes.”
Gorgeous bras we love:
7. Empreinte Melody Seamless Bra: You said it best! Per Fancierpants’ review, “Worth it. It is so hard for me to let go of the money to buy this bra. Yet I just bought four of them! This bra is so comfortable, stays in place, shapes beautifully, does the work it’s supposed to. I’m tired of trying bras out and being somewhat satisfied. This is the one for me.”
8. Panache Clara: This ever-popular Bra of the Month fits amazingly and lifts even heavy breasts with its 3-part-cups and all that good stuff, but, frankly, that’s icing on the proverbial cake because would you look at how gorgeous it is?!
9. Dita Von Teese Madame X Demi Cage Bra: It’s practically a crime to put a shirt or dress over this dramatic lace-and-satin stunner from the Good Girl of Burlesque herself. We defy you to wear it and not feel like the star of your own show.
FALL MUST HAVE: Shaping Leggings
Why you need them now: “Leggings continue to trend in a huge way this fall,” said buyer Melissa McDonald. They’re as comfortable and flattering as they are fashion-forward. “Basic black is still a wardrobe staple, and you can branch out in confidence with styles like these.”
Shaping leggings we love:
10. Spanx Faux Leather Moto Leggings: You’ve probably seen these on legs everywhere, because they are amazing. You get cool, cutting-edge styling in supple faux-leather that can be dressed up or down with all that Spanx goodness baked in. Comes in regular and plus sizes.
11. Spanx Ready-to-Wow Faux Leather Leggings: Get the look of leather, plus shaping technology, minus the eye-stinging price tag. These decadent leggings come in petite, regular and plus sizes and a workweek wardrobe’s worth of rich fall colors.
12. Lyssé Medium Control Denim Leggings: The pull-on comfort of leggings meets your favorite jeans. They’ll always make you look put-together thanks to a range of washes and, most of all, the built-in panel at the waist.
FALL MUST HAVE: Shaping Bodysuits
Why you need them now: “These are your party-going secret weapon,” says Melissa. They don’t ride up like a camisole might, they can replace the need for a separate bra, they can solve wardrobing dilemmas other lingerie can’t and, of course, they smooth from torso to tush. Don’t be surprised if you find yourself wearing them Monday to Friday, too.
Shaping bodysuits we love:
13. Bali Lace ‘N Smooth Firm Control Bodysuit: This is one of our most popular bodysuits for the allover, everyday shaping it offers in a pretty, lightweight lacy package. With its underwire cups, no bra necessary.
14. Va Bien Strapless Low Back Slimming Bodysuit: Smoothing in the front, hardly visible in the back, here’s your special occasion secret weapon that lifts the chest and smooths the rest.
15. Miraclesuit Extra Firm Control Comfort Leg Bodysuit: So much shaping in such a small package! It works on a tummy, hips, rear with supportive bra cups and comfort leg bands that stay where they belong (this is key) without digging in.
Latest posts by Brooke Glassberg (see all)
- Carrie Sporer is Changing the Game for Busy Women Who Work Out - February 22, 2021
- Wear the Rainbow: Bra and Panty Trends for 2021 - February 15, 2021
- Upgrade Your Downtime: Pretty Spring Pajamas and Loungewear - February 8, 2021